What is BikerDown!?
Many motorcyclists ride in groups or pairs, so it is often the case that when one is involved in an accident the first person in attendance will often be a fellow biker. BikerDown is a FREE three hour course for all bikers, giving them an awareness of the dangers at a crash scene, how to deal with a casualty and, how to increase visibility to other road users. For more information, please download the guide below:
The training course for motorcyclists will be presented by a fully trained member of the Firebike team and will include:
1. Accident Scene Management
On-scene management advice and personal safety, for a biker who comes across an RTC involving a motorcyclist. This covers initial considerations, including their own thought process to assess the most appropriate action to take in order to protect themselves and other road users at the scene, an order of actions and instruction on management of resources available (i.e. other witnesses). Information they should gather to assist attending Emergency Service Personnel.
2. First Aid for Motorcyclists
- Trauma and mechanism of injury
- Snatch rescues
- Why when and how
- Basic life support
- Managing spinal injuries and crash helmet removal – when and how.
3. The Science of Being Scene
- Conspicuity, how effective hi–viz clothing really is
- Use of conspicuity clothing and hi-viz aids
- Phenomena such as motion camouflage and looming
- Pre-ride checks